BackgroundHaiku Journal has been publishing issues since 2011. Each issue features both new and established poets. We consider all forms of haiku which follow the syllabic pattern 5/7/5.
It's still free to submit!Many excellent journals charge fees for either online or offline submissions (or both). We all understand those funds are needed to send contributors a copy, or otherwise generate income. More than 70% of journals today do not pay anything. These types of practices are understandable, but frustrating to writers.
Fortunately, at Haiku Journal general submissions are still free.
PaymentsAll journals have some financial strategy to stay afloat, and those decisions are often difficult trade-offs.
What are our trade-offs?
By submitting, you are acknowledging these terms.
1. By submitting, you are asserting your work is available to print and has not been previously printed elsewhere. You understand that accepted poems are published to our online journal immediately upon acceptance, which is how Haiku Journal's software is designed. You grant permission to print your poetry for the purposes of creating online journals, printed journals, and to promote you, Haiku Journal, or poetry in general (which is part of our mission statement). You do so with the understanding that Haiku Journal does not limit your ability to exploit your work in the future. You maintain simultaneous future-use rights to your poetry. You do not need to ask permission to reprint your poetry, or to submit it elsewhere in the future.
2. You affirm your submission is your own creation and no part of your submission is in the public domain.
3. You may submit up to 3 times per issue.
4. Publishing poets is hard work and costs money. Please understand that we are not a university press, and we cannot afford to give away free paperback copies of our books. We support you by providing all our services for free, including reading and publishing. In accordance with our mission to support the arts, and to make poetry available to everyone regardless of income, online copies are available to read for free.
5. We DO offer cash payments (a token payment) to contributors (paid shortly after paperback publication).
6. You may withdraw any submission automatically prior to acceptance by logging into the submission manager. Once accepted, you will need to contact us to withdraw a submission.
*All the guidelines above are subject to change without notice, and will always comply with our mission to support the arts, poets, and poetry in general. It is your responsibility to check the guidelines each time you submit.
We do not charge you to submit your work.
We do not charge a reading fee for general submissions.
We prefer you limit your submissions to 3 per issue.
Remember to separate your submissions.
Simultaneous submissions are fine.
One token payment allowed per issue.
Token payments are currently $1.50 for everyone, and $10.00 for submissions marked as "Editor's Choice."
Cash payments are paid by PayPal to any address you designate.